Looking for some last minute Memorial Day ideas?
How about some veggie pasta salad?
And strawberry shortcake for dessert. Yum! 🙂
Enjoy your holiday! 🙂
Mmm… Strawberry shortcake. It’s the perfect summer dessert. And it’s so easy to bring to BBQs or other cookout, potluck type events.
Growing up, strawberry shortcake was often a Memorial Day or Fourth of July treat, so it brings me right back to those summer celebrations.
For this dessert I wanted to do something a bit different. So I made vanilla cake donuts for the base, strawberries, and a thicker whipped cream with a bit of cream cheese. It’s still light and satisfying while carrying a bit more substance.
Vanilla donuts (makes 9)
- 2 Tablespoons almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend almonds and water in a blender until no chunks remain.
- Combine almond mixture, and apple sauce through milk in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix flours and baking powder in small bowl.
- Add dry to wet and mix until combined.
- Pour into greased donut pan (could use mini pie pans too) and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and cooked through (test with toothpick).
- Let cool in pans for a couple minutes, turn out onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup white sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
- Splash water (optional)
- Place strawberries in medium saucepan and heat on medium until they begin to melt. At this point I sometimes add a bit of water if the juice evaporates too quickly.
- Stir strawberries around and sprinkle with sugar, then mix it in.
- Continue to cook until the strawberries have fully defrosted and are surrounded by a nice sauce.
- Transfer to a bowl and the refrigerator until cold.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Beat sugar, cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.
- Add in whipping cream and vanilla and beat until peaks form.
- Use immediately or store in refrigerator for up to two days in an airtight container.
Bringing it together
- Assemble shortcake in layers. Cake, strawberries, cream. Enjoy!
Today I’m sharing this with Fiesta Friday. 🙂