What could be better than crispy battered fish with a side of fries? Not much in my opinion. I have been craving fish and chips for so long now, I finally broke down and decided to make it at home. Even my picky husband loved it, that’s always a win in my book! 🙂
Gluten-Free Fish And Chips
- 4 Haddock fillets, thawed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2-1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk (or water for dairy free)
- 1 egg
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Gluten-free French fries
- Lemon, sliced
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a cast iron pan.
- Mix flour, starch, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add in the egg and milk and mix just until combined.
- Pat the haddock fillets dry (I used paper towel). Coat them in the batter and gently place in the preheated oil, keeping them from touching each other. You know that the oil is ready when a drop of water sizzles in it.
- Flip fish after 2-3 minutes, and cook another 2-3 minutes, until both sides are golden.
- Serve with French fries and lemon.
Remember to like my blog on Facebook. 🙂
For as long as I can remember, pesto has been one of my favorite sauces. Whether it’s for pasta, pizza, or something else entirely, I think it’s great! And it’s so easy to make at home! 🙂
- 2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Squeeze lemon juice (1 Tablespoon or so)
- Pepper (optional, to taste)
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (I pulse it a few times just to get everything moving.)
Toasted marshmallows, perfectly melted chocolate, graham cracker crust. It’s the first day of summer, and what better way to kick off the new season than with mini s’mores pies?
I love how easy these are, no need for a campfire (though those are lovely) and they’re not nearly as messy as traditional s’mores either. But, you know, when gooey chocolate and melted marshmallows come together, there’s always that possibility.
Mini S’mores Pies
- 4 mini pie tins
- 1 cup crushed gluten-free graham crackers (I used chocolate)
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Mix crushed graham crackers and butter together, then divide evenly among the pie tins, pressing to the bottom.
- Bake “crusts” for 5-7 minutes at 350. You’re just looking for them to harden.
- Place 1/4 cup chocolate chips in each pan, spreading evenly.
- Add in 1/2 cup marshmallows on the top and spread them out so the chocolate’s covered.
- Bake for 3 minutes.
- Switch the oven to broil and cook for another 2 minutes or until the marshmallow tops are beautifully browned and toasted.
- Enjoy! 🙂
What are your favorite summer treats? I’d love to hear about them in the comments? 🙂
Imagine the taste of wonderfully warm ham and steaming pineapple mingling its sweetness with tomato sauce and mozzarella. This would typically be the topping for a pizza, an absolutely amazing Hawaiian pizza, but instead this dish is easy for you to make on a busy night because it replaces the time consuming pizza dough with pasta and still gives you that perfect Hawaiian taste.
This is one of my absolute favorites on a night when I get home starving or need a quick meal to throw together. I usually have the ingredients on hand, so that’s also a big bonus.
- Gluten-free pasta
- Marinara sauce
- Deli ham (make sure it’s gluten free if that matters)
- Canned pineapple chunks (in juice or water, not syrup), drained
- Shredded mozzarella
- Cook up a serving of pasta
- Mix in some sauce.
- Place it in an oven safe bowl and top with sliced ham, pineapple chunks, and mozzarella. (I like putting the mozzarella on top because it takes a bit longer than other cheeses to melt and protects the toppings from burning as well as letting it get slightly crispy.)
- Pop it in the oven until the cheese is all melted.
- Then enjoy the steaming bowl of perfection.
Social media: Facebook
Sometimes you just really want a breakfast cake to make your morning better. I was so happy with how this turned out and I think it will definitely become one of our staples.
Gluten-Free Raspberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbls sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- Seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flours and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Add in sugar and wet ingredients (for cake) and mix until combined.
- Pour into a greased 8×8 pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend all of the topping ingredients except jam with an electric mixer in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Take the cake out of the oven and dollop jam and cream cheese mixture over the top. (In the one pictured I only used 1/2 the cream cheese recipe, because I wanted more of a swirl. The whole batch will cover the top, and either way it’s delicious!)
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let stand for a few minutes, slice, and serve warm.
- Enjoy! 🙂
June is when we wrap up spring and begin summer once again. I don’t know about you, but that certainly changes the dynamic of life in my home. I guess these goals reflect that.
Enjoy some down time with my husband – We’ve both been pretty busy lately, and I’m hoping this month will give us some time to relax and spend time together.
Make the most of the beginning of summer – Meaning get outside and explore! Maybe have a few yummy, summery treats along the way. 🙂
Get out for lots of walks – Possibly start hiking, but I’d like to spend more time outdoors.
What are your goals for the month? Do you find that the transition from spring to summer changes your world in the kitchen? I’d love to hear from you!
This creamy pasta is just perfect for a quick weeknight meal. Easy to throw together, yet oh so yummy.
- 1 box pasta
- 2 Tbls butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2-1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Pepper (optional)
- Dried parsley (optional)
- Spinach (optional)
- Chardonnay (optional)
- Cook pasta, drain, and set aside.
- In pot, combine butter or oil, milk, sour cream, and Parmesan. Heat until smooth. Add a splash of Chardonnay if desired and stir until smooth.
- Add pasta and mozzarella.
- Season with pepper and parsley.
- Serve with spinach or enjoy as is.
Looking for some last minute Memorial Day ideas?
How about some veggie pasta salad?
And strawberry shortcake for dessert. Yum! 🙂
Enjoy your holiday! 🙂
May has been a crazy month for me. I’ve done way more baking than I typically would this time of year, which has been great! But it’s also been a bit distracting.
Here’s how I did on my goals this month.
Make granola – F
Yeah, that didn’t happen. But I did enough baking and experimenting that I think I made up for it.
Do something with all the shampoo bottles in my shower – A
To the recycling they went! 🙂
Clean out the refrigerator – B
I didn’t do this fully, but I definitely went through a lot of what I had in there.
Multi-course meal – C
I shared one of these getting together with some friends while we all brought something. So it kinda counts? Not fully though…
How did you do on your goals this month?
Tis the season for cook outs and potlucks and picnics. And everyone knows none of those would be complete without pasta salad. I love that this one has so many veggies in it, it makes it light and a bit healthier than other pasta salads.
I love to brighten up Memorial Day or Fourth of July with this simple recipe. Keep in mind that simple doesn’t mean boring. It’s easy to throw together the morning of an event, and still has a zesty flavor that everyone seems to love. It’s also very customizable and you can choose your favorite veggies to throw in and make it your own.
Veggie Pasta Salad
- 1 box (gluten free) twirly pasta
- 1 and 1/2 cups Italian dressing (make sure it’s gf if needed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 medium head broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 can black olives, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Cook and drain pasta, then rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
- Add pasta, and everything but tomatoes in a large bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Add in tomatoes and mix again. (I do this last so they won’t get crushed.)
- Refrigerate and eat cold.
I’m sharing this salad with Fiesta Friday. Have a great weekend! 🙂